Friday 3 January 2014

Sleezy D - I've Lost Control

Marshall Jefferson (born September 19, 1959, Chicago, Illinois) is an American musician, working in house music, in particular, the subgenres of Chicago house and deep house.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Jefferson

JD: I was talking to some guys in a record shop the other day and they were convinced that you are Sleezy D.
 
MJ: Nah. Sleezy is an actual person. If you ever met him, you’d never forget him. Oh man, he is… sleazy. Everybody who came to town [starts laughing] Sleazy would take them round. Everybody loved Sleazy…
thequietus.com/articles/13646-marshall-jefferson-trax-records-interview

With the incessant burbling of the Roland TB 303 bass synthesiser underpinning a heavily treated vocal, this Marshall Jefferson production helped to define the intense acid sound. An uncannily accurate depiction of a bad trip, it ushered in a new age of dark side psychedelia.
Jon Savage
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2008/apr/20/electronicmusic.clubs1 

Adonis knew how to program the TB303 very well, but so did many others that bought the TB 303, but none of them would have intentionally used the TB303 the way I did. As for the way the bassline turned out, it was purely by accident; I punched in notes and that was the result. I'd like to say it was exactly what I wanted, but that wasn't the case. Only someone that didn't know what they were doing could program that bass line, examples of Adonis TB303 programming is "My Space" from my Virgo EP and "No Way Back" by Adonis, both very legible and not at all like the disorganized mess I did.

I've Lost Control was a hit in the Music Box at least 6 months before I even met Adonis. I did a conference call with Adonis and Sleezy last week and we both tried to explain this to Adonis, but he was staying with his story. Whether he actually believed it, your guess is as good as mine.
Marshall Jefferson
http://www.discogs.com/Sleezy-D-Ive-Lost-Control/release/2237 

Called "tracky" or "trackhead" by cognoscenti, this mechanistic side of house began with the mid-'80s jack tracks (palsied vamps, stutter-afflicted vocal riffs, mind-evacuating "jack your body" chants), then mutated into acid house in 1987. Acid contained its own microgenre of vocal-based tracks, a world away from the melisma-drenched fabulosity of Ultra Nate and Robert Owens. On the flipside of Phuture's "Acid Tracks," the very first house tune to deploy the fractal wibbles of the Roland 303 bass-synthesizer, the astonishing "Your Only Friend" personified cocaine as a robot-voiced tyrant: "I'll make you lie for me, I'll make you die for me." Other classics of this ilk include Adonis's "No Way Back," Bam Bam's "Where's Your Child?" and Sleazy D's "I've Lost Control," all themed around disorientation, mindwreck, abduction, and sexual dread.
Simon Reynolds
http://reynoldsretro.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/green-velvet-hardcore-jollies-village.html


No comments: